2017 CAICE Undergraduate Summer Research Program
Benefits and Details
- Mentoring from top CAICE faculty, post-doctoral and graduate students in the CAICE network
- Placement in a CAICE lab site (lab placements are available across the U.S.)
- Receive preparation for graduate school, attend field trips and symposiums. (Activities may vary by lab placement site)
- Presentation of your research results and conclusions to other students and faculty at conclusion of program.
- Receive a minimum stipend of $4000, reimbursement for out of town travel costs (up to $500), plus housing for full program duration.
- Conduct exciting hands-on scientific research
- 9-10 week program (dates to be determined by lab placement site)
Who Should Apply?
- Applications open to undergraduates with an interest in chemistry who would like to participate in cutting edge CAICE research.
- Women, students from underrepresented groups, and military veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Priority will be given to current 2nd and 3rd year undergraduates.
Note: The online application and reference form will available on November 1st, 2016. Application deadline is February 1, 2017.
- To apply for the CAICE Summer Undergraduate Research Program, please review the links to the CAICE faculty advisors and their labs below, complete the online CAICE Summer Undergraduate Research Application, where you will need to choose your first and second lab choices, as well as submit a personal statement and a statement of interest. After completing the form, click on “Submit” and then scan and email your unofficial college transcripts to email@example.com
- A completed online Reference Form should also be submitted on your behalf by your recommender.
- Deadline to submit your Application Form and Recommendation Form is February 1, 2017. Unofficial college transcripts must also be submitted via email by February 1, 2017, otherwise your application will be considered incomplete.
CAICE Faculty labs available for summer 2016:
Heather Allen https://research.cbc.osu.edu/allen.697/ (Ohio State University)
Timothy Bertram: http://bertram.chem.wisc.edu/ (University of Wisconsin- Madison)
Chris Cappa https://sites.google.com/site/thecappagroup/Home (UC Davis)
Paul DeMott https://chem.atmos.colostate.edu/PJDeMott/ (Colorado State University)
Vicki H. Grassian http://www.chem.uiowa.edu/grassian-research-group (lab location will be at UC San Diego)
Valeria Molinero http://molinero.hec.utah.edu (University of Utah)
Gilbert M. Nathanson: nathanson.chem.wisc.edu (University of Wisconsin- Madison)
Francesco Paesani paesanigroup.ucsd.edu (UC San Diego)
Kimberly Prather http://atofms.cloud.ucsd.edu/ (UC San Diego)
Elizabeth Stone http://www.chem.uiowa.edu/stone-research-group (University of Iowa)
Alexei Tivanski http://www.chem.uiowa.edu/tivanski-research-group (University of Iowa)
Wei Xiong http://ultrafast.ucsd.edu/ (UC San Diego)
Contact: Becky Hames, Director of Education, Outreach and Diversity: bhames AT ucsd.edu