The opportunity to bring interested undergraduates into CAICE research projects is one of the most exciting times of the year here at CAICE.
Every summer, students from across the country join CAICE researchers to study how aerosols are impacting the chemistry of our environment. Students join one of the several CAICE research locations and will have a graduate student mentor to guide their research.
All interested undergraduates are encouraged to apply. We especially encourage women, underrepresented groups, veterans and those who attend a community college or technical college to apply. This opportunity is open to all.
The application window is open from October 1st 2019 until 5pm PST on February 1st 2020.
Apply Now –> Click here.
Benefits & Details
- Mentoring from top CAICE faculty, postdocs & graduate students in the CAICE network
- Placement in a CAICE lab site (lab placements are available across the U.S.)
- Conduct exciting hands-on scientific research
- 8-10 week program (dates to be determined by lab placement site)
- Preparation for graduate school, attend field trips & symposiums
- Presentation of your research results to other students and faculty at conclusion of program
- Receive a minimum stipend of $5000
- Reimbursement for out of town travel costs (up to $500)
- Housing for full program duration
Who Should Apply?
- Application open to undergraduates with an interest in chemistry who would like to participate in cutting edge CAICE research
- Women, students from underrepresented groups, and military veterans are strongly encouraged to apply
- Students from community colleges are encouraged to apply
- Priority will be given to current 2nd and 3rd year undergraduates
- Open to U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents only
1. Please review the links to the CAICE faculty advisers and their labs below and choose your 1st and 2nd lab choices
2. Fill out the application below or click here for the link.
- This will include a personal statement, statement of interest, and contact information for a recommendation letter
3. After you submit your application, an email will be sent to your selected reference/recommendation writer asking them to fill out a form on your behalf. Please follow up with them to make sure they do so
4. After your letter writer completes their form, you will receive a confirmation email letting you know and also confirming that your application is complete!
- The deadline to submit your Application Form and the Recommendation Form is February 1, 2020, otherwise your application will be considered incomplete
- Accepted participants will be notified in March 2020
CAICE Labs Available for Summer 2020:
- Timothy Bertram (University of Wisconsin- Madison)
- Cari Dutcher (University of Minnesota)
- Vicki Grassian (UC San Diego)
- Gilbert Nathanson (University of Wisconsin- Madison)
- Kim Prather (UC San Diego)
- Michael Tauber (UC San Diego)
- Wei Xiong (UC San Diego)
Application for 2020 –> click here
Questions? Contact: Jeanette McConnell – Education, Outreach, and Diversity Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
Flyer for the program. Please share with those you think might be interested.